Saturday, June 7, 2008

Definitions, Standards, and Deviations (part 3)

Toppings: A Sub-Explo-sition

Everyone knows that there are certain things that you can put on top of a bowl of cereal that do indeed enhance the cereal experience. I recently had an experience in which I was lusting so passionately for cereal and as many toppings as I could manage, that I fear I may have gone overboard. Today, we'll discuss a few things:

*CAN one "go overboard" with regard to cereal toppings? How many is too many?
*Is there ever a time when no topping is appropriate?
*My favorites and why. Because I AM THE MAIN BLOGGER.
*YOUR favorite toppings.


So, this fateful night a couple of weeks ago, I had a couple of cereals--I believe they were honey bunches of oats and maybe some kashi honey puffs? It was late at night (whet
her or not I had the "munchies" is not relevant). I poured myself a mug (standard in my household) and thought to myself, "man, I love all o f the stuff thats in here. Wait a second--if I like all of THIS stuff, maybe I would like even MORE stuff!" Thus it began. I reached for a banana, sliced up half of it, and instantly had a better and more awesome bowl of cereal. Then I saw the bag of cranberry trail mix. Retrospectively, this was one step too far. A handful of almonds, peanuts, raisins, cranberries, and sunflower seeds cascaded into the mug, mingling with the flakes and clusters and sticking to the creamy banana, already sinking into the soymilk.
"That's all well and good," I thought, "but if this is so great, maybe even MORE stuff would be even BETTER!"
It was then that I saw the chocolate chip cookies. Not just any cookies--Tate's, that come in the little cellophane-y bag, super thin, super crispy, and super crumbly. I grabbed a cookie out of the bag and crumbled it into the mug.

2 kinds of cereal
banana
trail mix

cookie



I clenched the clover honey in my fist, adrenaline now pulsing through my veins, unable to control any of my actions (all of which consisted of putting more shit into this damn mug, at this juncture), and honey oozed out, covering my masterpiece. I'd created a beautiful, beautiful monster.
Needless to say, it was fucking delicious.
Was I wrong? It felt so damn right.

SO: IS THIS OKAY?

This was certainly a full meal, and most likely not apprpriate for breakfast. Even though I always say that cereal is right for ANY time of day, there are certain incarnations of it which simply don't fit with what I would consider a warm welcome into the day, i.e. trail mix and a cookie in a mug of ce
real. Perhaps this touches upon a topic discussed earlier: when is cereal still a bowl of cereal, ad when is it another snack altogether? But I DID have actual cereal in my mug (not cookie crisp or any of that shit), and bananas are standard. And hey, some cereal even has trail mix IN it (read earlier post: I'm currently in possession of some grape nuts trail mix crunch, for better or for worse). And the cookie, well...everyone knows how I feel about cookie crisp, but people eat it, so who knows. The honey was certainly superfluous, as these cereals have a ton of sugar anyway, and in case they didnt, the chocolate chip cookie probably took care of that.

My favorite cereal toppings: BANANA , HONEY....(chocolate chip cookie when appropriate)

Is there such a thing as too many toppings?
Ultimately, I think that cereal is the perfect template for your 3am (or 3 pm) dream-come-true snack. I'm a cereal super-liberal. Follow your hearts!


What do YOU think?


next installment: an explo-sition of fresh fruit, and a guest blog on the virtues/shortcomings of dehydrated fruit.


crunch,
tweeone

BONUS: here is a photo of me in High School Mus
ical singing "Getcha Head In The Game" with Zac Efron

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Is there cereal in High School Musical? I don't think so, but it's possible that they are eating or are offered some in the (home) kitchen scene in HSM2. HSM3 is coming out -- WILL THEY EAT CEREAL BEFORE GRADUATION???

jeff (that one kid) said...

i love cookie crisp, but i guess that's just cause i'm from the "midwest."