Saturday, June 7, 2008

High

There is a significant height disparity between the contributors of this blog, so I speak only for myself here. Now, if you fall into the short-to-average height category and live in a city where you often need to purchase your cereal at a bodega or small-supermarket, you may have encountered the same dilemma as I did last night (and on countless previous nights. and days.) Both of the healthy mini-marts in my neighborhood stock well over 15 different kinds of cereal. From the standard less-sugared varieties of RiceCrispies and Cheerios, to SmartStart, to Kashi/Peace/HealthyMorning organic high-fiber types... there is plenty to choose from.

I walk in. Ready to choose one or two cereals to bring home and enjoy that same evening. There they are stacked 2 high in a neat row of color, shining like a beacon in the night on.... the highest shelf?
I looked around. Everyone was too busy to notice me let alone help me. I noted the yellow and black grabber in the corner. Taking things into my own hands I proceeded to knock over 4 boxes of cereal, none of which were the cereal I had intended to grab. Damn.

I was eventually glared at, shamed, and helped. Cereals in hands I emerged victorious but aware that I will probably have to buy my cereal at the other mini-health-store now.

2 comments:

TweeOne said...

you're right, I rarely have to deal with not being able to reach something that is "way up high." that being said, i'm really proud of you for taking matters into your own hands! also, were you high? also, only go cereal shopping with me, and then i'll just grab it right down for ya! 'cause if it's too high for me, it hasn't got any business existing.

Unknown said...

Is the mini-health store for smaller people?