Thursday, June 5, 2008

Less is More but so is More or less

As a child, I didn't eat nearly as much cereal as I do now. The parents only kept healthy cereal in the house and back then (1988-1998) my choices were limited enough that cereal was not my number one breakfast/snack/anytime food. I also refused to drink milk unless it was with two ice-cubes and a cookie, which made certain cereals, such as RiceCrispies, less palatable.

As far as I was concerned there were three main things to be excited about when it came to cereal.

1--Mom buys Honey Nut Cheerios and lets me eat them as a snack without milk.

2--Somehow a package of those mini cereal boxes with Trix, Cocoa Puffs, Lucky Charms, or other SUGAR cereals ends up in our kitchen via a friend, visitor, or magic.

3--TOYS. And this is what concerns me now.


These days, I rarely purchase cereal advertising a special prize inside the box. Most often there are health tips, something you can purchase with many proofs-of-purchases, or the rare Pilates DVD. When I started to blog about cereal prizes, it was with the intent to claim that they should put them in all cereals so that I could once again look forward to finding a Lion King spoon that changes color with cold milk (I still have mine) buried in my HealthNutCrunchKashiOrganicFlakeO's. Having meditated further on the subject, I'm not so sure. More toys = less cereal, and I'm not sure that I would be willing to make that sacrifice. The prize would have to be worth the cereal in its weight, and judging by the "toys" that are being put in boxes these days that would just not happen. I guess the cereal moguls don't think it is worth the shipping costs from China, or are worried about getting sued for lead-paint poisoning.

Check this out:


I LOVE HSM and even I wouldn't give up 50 flakes or 15 clusters for a silly sheet of 6 trading cards (and actual Kellogg's prize).

Now if they were action figures..... even mini ones......Boy oh boy!

4 comments:

TweeOne said...

also, those cards aren't exclusive. they came in the HSM party planning activity book that we flip through so often.

Unknown said...

Those IMAGES are not exclusive, but the cards are.

Let me know if you come across any Batman toys. Or, like any toys.

TweeOne said...

we've gotta talk about this milk with ice thing. either that, or we should never, ever talk about it.

Unknown said...

That picture of Ryan is SO FLY